Fauna of Tanzania
Tanzania is present in eastern Africa, which is at the border of Uganda to the north, the Indian Ocean to the east. Tanzania has rich flora and fauna. Its geography mainly includes rich savannahs, wetlands, grasslands plains along the wooden forests too.
It has a variable climate and can vary from hot in the plains, and if you talk about mountains, it is temperate. It can be considered home to Mt. Kilimanjaro, the highest African Mountain and Lake Tanganyika, the world’s second deepest lake.
So let us find about Tanzania’s rich fauna and its availability. Check them out and see how they can be beneficial in Tanzania Safari tours:
Which are the animals who are native to Tanzania
Animals native to Tanzania are cheetahs, wildebeests, lions, gazelles, ostriches, elephants and giraffes. Tanzania also has the most significant number of predators in Africa, including leopards, jackals, hyenas, and big cats. It also has reptiles like agama, lizards and crocodiles.
Check out the best Tanzania safari package at the most cost-effective prices!
What are some of the fantastic facts about wildlife in Tanzania?
Tanzania consists of the most significant population density of any country globally; It has more animals in every square mile of land than anywhere else in the world. Also, Tanzania consists of a large variety of animals; It has the following ratio:
- Mammal species: 430
- Bird species: 1112
- Insect species: 60000
- Snake species: 100
- Fish, reptiles and amphibians: 100
Which is Tanzania’s National Animal?
Tanzania has selected the most graceful animal, i.e. Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis), as its national animal. It stands at an average of 20 feet tall and is considered the tallest land mammal on earth. Giraffes are social animals, and they travel in groups of 10 to 12 females with their young. The males always travel separately.
Where can you find the most top animals in Tanzania?
Almost 40% of the country has turned it into wildlife preserves, conservation areas, and conservation portions. Tanzania consists of 17 national parks which cover more than 16000 square miles.
What is all you can find on Safari in Tanzania?
The wildebeest also has a great migration, which happens in October and November as well. At the times of the migration, wildebeests travel all across Serengeti in massive herds. The migration involves the 200,000 zebras and 300,000 Thomson’s Gazelles.
You can find the best locations in Tanzania for Safari and enjoy with your friends! The drive safari or the game drive is the most popular way to analyse the animals. It allows one to enjoy and watch the comfort and the safety of the closed vehicle. You can also undergo the balloon safari, which takes you across the whole park.
Though there can be many giraffes found in Tanzania, the World Wildlife Fund depicts that the population numbers are reducing. The habitat loss of the giraffes has put them in vulnerable stats for conservation.
In the wetland areas, the safari adventures include the sightings of flamingoes, ducks, hippos, waterbucks. Also, warthogs, crocodiles and sitatungas or marshbucks are found here. Zanzibar island is also a part of Tanzania, and the island has its unique ecology. The coral reefs and mangrove forests are home to whales, dolphins, manta rays, sea turtles, colobus monkeys etc. Zanzibar consists of a national park and has many protected marine areas.
Various endangered Animals in Tanzania
Tanzania is rich, unique wildlife, various other animals, are at risk. Let’s find out which one:
- Aders’ duiker:It is a small, beautiful, deer-like animal in Kenya, Tanzania and Zanzibar Island. It is a foot tall and has a reddish coat with a grey neck and striped ears.
- Desperate shrew:The mammal is found in Tanzania’s tropical forest areas. It is a tiny animal with an extremely long, pointed snout and also bearing dark coloured fur.
- Common chimpanzeeChimpanzees are closer to humans when they are to gorillas or orangutans. They are very much social animals and live in complex societies. Habitat loss, the illegal pet trade and have caused various dramatic drops in the chimpanzee populations. It is already extinct in at least four African countries.
- Eastern black rhinoceros:It is a large and dark-coloured rhino and has a long, curved horn. It can reach 12 feet and also weigh 3000 pounds. The illegal poaching for the horns and has caused it to become quite an endangered species, unfortunately.
The animals which are most dangerous in Tanzania
- Mosquito:The tiny little mosquito is very dangerous and spreads malaria, and can cause more deaths in Africa.
- Black Mamba:It is a poisonous snake that can grow to 14 feet. Its venom is very much potent and can be fatal for any grown individual.
- Hippotomas:It is the second-largest animal on the earth. It seems to be fat and lazy, but the hippos are pretty dangerous. They can weigh over tons and also run more than 30 miles per hour. They can attack and kill humans. Thus, can be pretty dangerous.
Animals to view on Safari Tour
Tanzania has rich fauna indeed. There are many animals that you can spot at Safari-like wildebeests, cheetah, chimpanzees, hippos. So what are you waiting for? Get the chance to explore Tanzania wildlife!